Saturday, May 05, 2007

Goodbye Gift



The weather has been beautiful this week. The sun shining, warm days and cool nights. Just the way I like it. I was home last weekend to visit my Mom. She and I get a long like sisters so she is a joy to spend time with. We had 3 great days together.

I belong to a small quilting group, "Friends in Stitches", we get together to sew, chat, eat you know how it is. Late last year one of our group moved to England. They do not know how long they will be there, so they are renting a small flat, much smaller than the big home they had here in Barrie. We wanted to give Mary something to remember us.

One of our group had an idea from something she saw in a magazine. The project was to make a small quilt that would sit on your desk and could be changed be seasonally like a calendar. The quilt is made with a small pocket on the top of the back. The pocket then goes over the top of an 8X10 clear acrylic picture frame. It is used as a stand for the quilt. We like the idea. It was small enough to pack and display in a small space and large enough that we could express ourselves.

Each of us made a small square using a technique we are known for and something that would mean something special to Mary. I love Redwork and Mary collects Teddy Bears so that was perfect. My friend Kelly does beautiful applique , Margret silk ribbon, you get the idea! Anyway Kelly the put the whole thing together, using Maple Leaf (Canada) fabric for the border and there is a special label on the back. I think it turned out beautifully and it who doesn't have time to make a 3 inch square. Mary loved it.

1 comment:

Jo Raines said...

I love the little desk-pocket quilt! What a great idea!